20 Questions for New Artists: Have you registered with SoundExchange?

Have You Registered With SoundExchange? Featured recording artists and bands that own their own sound recordings can register with SoundExchange, the U.S. performing rights organization for sound recordings. Registration forms are available on the SoundExchange website (http://www.soundexchange.com/), and membership is free. It is a good idea to check the PLAYS database (which can be done online with a simple registration) for any titles of your band’s recordings to see if the recordings are already included in the database or are mis-registered.

SoundExchange can also collect for performances from certain rights organizations overseas. This requires separate authorization, which is explained on the company’s website.

See also: Bank Accounts/Tax Returns/Accountants

Copyright 2009 Chris Castle and Amy Mitchell. All Rights Reserved.